Inter-American Centre for Knowledge Development in Vocational Training
ILO Centenary Declaration for the Future of Work, 2019
The world of work is experiencing transformative change, driven by technological innovations, demographic shifts, climate change and globalization.
In response to these challenges and to mark 100 years since the ILO’s founding, a Centenary Declaration for the Future of Work was adopted in 2019 at the 108th session of the International Labour Conference.
The Declaration's “human-centred approach” focuses on three areas of action:
- Increasing investment in people’s capabilities,
- Increasing investment in the institutions of work,
- Increasing investment in decent and sustainable work.
The Declaration issues a call to action for all member States to:
- Ensure all people benefit from the changing world of work,
- Ensure the continued relevance of the employment relationship,
- Ensure adequate protection for all workers,
- Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full employment and decent work,
- It also sets priorities for the ILO’s work.